Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Halohalo High!

Since i missed summer at PH, my tastebuds longed for the all time favorite summer cooler..the infamous Halohalo. A concoction of sweetened stuffs (mung beans, jackfruit, beans), leche flan, yam and ice cream. All presented together with crushed ice and milk.

Me and my friend Lawrence <second time to be mentioned here in my blog. you'll be seeing his name pop out here most of the time since he is one of my few buddies in Brunei>, went out last Friday for a Meryenda (afternoon snack)session. Supposedly, it should be lunch, but i replied late to his message because i was ironing my uniform for my duty that day. hah!

Lawrence: "Anong gusto mong kainin?" (What do you want to eat?)
Me: "Chicken Barbecue." < at 2:30ish I didn't have my lunch yet that's why i wanted to eat some chicken>

Him: "Walang Chicken Barbecue nang ganitong oras. Gabi lang usually. (No chicken barbecue at this time of the day, they are usually available at night.)
Me: "OK.Halohalo then."
Him: "Local or Pinoy style?"
Me: "PINOY STYLE!"




So off we went..vvvrrrooomm..:)
He just knows where to get the good stuffs here in Brunei coz he's been here for almost two years now. Better trust him with this one.

The place is called Sumbangsih. <yep,i dont have a photo. pfft! forgive me.> It's like a big food court near the the place where most showrooms of different car companies are. My friend told me that this place is usually packed with people during weekdays especially during lunchbreaks. The place has a lot of food stalls, much like SM's foodcourt but a little bit disorganized. It opens as early as 6am <according to Lawrence> and it has this famous stall which sells fresh seafoods, much like Dampa at PH, but is open only at night time. Sumbangsih is open till the wee hours of the morning, around 1am <according to Lawrence, again. Terrific tour guide eh.hihi>

There i found two adjacent stores selling Pinoy style Halohalo. My friend told me that the one which is located in the inner part of the food court makes better tasting Halohalo. I started looking at their menu and the ice cream freezer.They also sell yogurt and milk shakes. And i decided to go for the Special Halohalo, since it's the one served with ice cream. The regular, which cost around BND$1.5 <if my memory serves me right>, doesn't have ice cream on top.
Two thumbs up i must say.

The serving is exceptionally big, great for sharing. <I intended to share but my friend has Lactose Intolerance.kesian.>
The contents are generous and the taste is very close to the one i used to have at PH.
This is way better than the servings of that famous Chinese restaurant at PH.<they basically serve ICE.block of ice and very little contents and two small scoops of ice cream for more than 100PHp>
I seriously love the peppermint-choc ice cream combo.SERIOUSLY.
The lady who served  didn't gave enough tissue though, because it's literally overflowing. <see the liquid thing at the bottom of the picture. That's milk!!>
Definitely a Must try and an instant solution for those homesickness blues.
Special thanks to my friend who took the picture.
Ciao!

                                                                                           
 SPECIAL HALOHALO
BND $2
with Chocolate and Peppermint Ice Cream
:)





No comments:

Post a Comment